Sunday, January 19, 2014

LOVE


We are so grateful for all the love and support we have received since we started this adoption process. It means the world to us and I think you all know this but I just want to know we are amazed at the generosity and love we have experienced so far. We are starting to feel like soon to be parents. It’s exciting but terrifying at the same time.

This last week my kindergarten class studied Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. We studied his life and his beliefs for the world during the Civil Rights Movement in America. They proceeded to write each of their dreams for the world and write how the world would change if their dream came true. Being new to teaching 5 and brand new 6 year olds I was unsure if this writing assignment would be over their heads. We started this assignment on the carpet with a marker and chart paper. I didn’t share my dream I wanted to hear their thoughts and dreams without tainting their visions for a better world. Students shared and shared and I wrote and wrote each students dream as a bullet point on the chart paper.  Then one student raised their hand and said something so profound that it stopped me in my tracks and left me speechless. “What if everyone just really just cared about everyone they knew? That’s my dream Mrs. Greta. If everyone knew that Jesus cares for them and knew that they had a friend like you then they wouldn’t be mad and mean. The less mean and sad people then the world would be better. A lot better with love in it. “

I swallowed because I thought about all the shootings in our country that have occurred in the last couple of years that killed countless of innocent people including children learning at school. Like most I don’t know the ends and out of all the shooters but I do know they were all unhappy people. I kept my composer and said thank you for sharing I didn’t want to dismiss any of the other children’s dreams. But this one stopped me dead in my tracks.

Thinking about being a parent I think about the world that our children will grow up in. It’s crazy with a capital C!  Gandhi’s quote, “Be the change you want to see in the world,"gives me comfort. I try to live true to this in my life. It’s difficult. It’s a struggle every day. Some days are easier than others.

But I often wonder how the world would change if…

·         We thought before we spoke or acted.
  • We all understood that parents play such a vital part in raising a well rounded happy healthy kiddo. 

·         We apologized when we made a mistake

·         We learned from our mistakes instead of beating our self up over it

·         We use our words instead of our fists

·         We did things to help others in our communities instead of thinking of our selves only.

·         We said thank you when we were grateful

·         We looked at struggles as opportunities

·         We spoke honestly to our self and others to help not hurt

·          We cared for others and helped them recognize their potential

·         We worked together to solve problems instead of profiting from them

·         We truly listen

·         We loved the person we hide from others

·         We become the best person we can be

·         We were kind and empathic

We are finishing up all the paperwork for the adoption. Really it’s almost done. Insert smiley face here. We are reading a lot about parenting and parenting adopted children. We are analyzing ourselves, our marriage, and our faith and deciding what kind of parents we want to be. Like any new parent we can prepare and prepare but we won’t know until we are parents. Thinking about being a parent takes my favorite quote to the next level. I could be anxious but I’m choosing to embrace all the unknowns of adoption and live in the moment and trust that God’s got this. I hope my children will see me as a person of faith that does not cower during hard unknown times but leans on my faith. I really want them to see me as a faithful and loving individual that cares for others and wants a better world for all. My dream of a better world  might be unrealistic and idealistic but it’s my dream.  My dream starts with me but hopefully doesn’t end here.

 I am not a great famous leader like Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  I am an ordinary “adoptive” parent to be that sees that the world is still in need a little more FAITH and a lot more LOVE. So Lord, our shepherd and savior help us hear and follow your voice in all we do so that we may never go astray. Give us strength to spread your love to others because small acts of faith can create big waves of love. Amen!

1 comment:

  1. I love how this entry represents you so well. A wonderful couple with a glorious journey.

    ReplyDelete