Monday, January 13, 2014

LOST and FOUND

Note: This is our story that led us to adoption. Remember everyone's story is different.


The place we are in has not come without loss and sadness. Tim and I always planned on having our own children.  We always wanted to see what a Greta and Tim would make. Probably a chubby cheeked Blondie with blue eyes but who knows. When I was told the chances of convincing were slim because of my condition it hit me like a ton of bricks. I heard loud voices in my head: “WHY?! Why me?” There were thoughts that rolled around in my head that I’m not proud of.
I was talking to a friend that was told the same by her doctor and I asked her about why I was so sad and full of so much despair? She said in a calming voice, “Because you are mourning.” Sounds silly but I was. I was mourning the loss of what I imagined our child to be like, mourning the loss of my fertility that I believed would never fail me ETC. I could go on and on…I had to feel those thoughts and feel that pain. Trust me, I really didn’t want to feel those horrible thoughts and sadness I just wanted to move on and “BE STRONG”. In reality I knew that true strength comes from working through issues and problems not dismissing them. I couldn’t escape; those feelings haunted me in my heart and in my dreams. I had to feel them and sort through them or I’d become a bitter person I just knew it. Bitter people are no fun.

 I should have turned to God sooner but I really thought he had left me. He never answered my prayers of having children or seemed to care. So I started talking with God reluctantly every night asking “Hello GOD are you there it’s me, Greta. Have you forgotten about me? I began reading scripture based readings and watching a lot of Super Soul Sunday on OWN. J Soon I began to hear GOD again whisper in a quiet voice, “I’ve been here all along.” I guess I wasn’t really listening. While sorting through all these feelings we were moving to what seemed like another land.  As soon as we got settled I called a couple of adoption agencies to make appointments but both of them said we lived too far away. Oh I was sad. We just started to feel like adoption was OUR way to become parents and then this. “What too far away, but I want to be a Mama? Too far away!?” I was freaking out. But then I found Bethany and emailed them because I couldn’t bear to hear a voice tell me no again. I thought typed words would take away the sting. Luckily they emailed me back the next morning stating they had an orientation in two weeks and NO we didn’t live too far way. I was so energized! We have never looked back since.  

Just last week I was taking care of more paperwork and crunching the numbers and freaking out about where the money will come from. But thank goodness I didn’t dismiss the tiny voice in the middle of the loud annoying voices that said, “Everything will work out. Will you trust me?” Again, it was my buddy God just bringing me down to earth.  Thank you. He’s got great timing if you just listen and let him in.

I feel God more than ever in my life.  I found him again. Truthfully I feel that God has used this experience to strengthen my faith in him. I mean yesterday we became official members of our new church. We are committed and are involved in a church! I feel that God had led us down this road and has allowed us to continue through this process. You know it’s not a coincidence that we are on this journey, He's got a plan. He’s molding us into the parents that we never thought we would be.

Lift up your eyes. Your heavenly Father waits to bless you in inconceivable ways to make your life what you never dreamt it could be.—Anne Ortlund

 

No comments:

Post a Comment